With Hurricane Florence slated to come ashore in North Carolina today, the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission has announced the following closures to ranges and game lands ahead of the storm. I might add that the US Forest Service has closed all campgrounds and recreation areas in both the Pisgah and Nantahala National Forests here in western North Carolina.
- John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center in Fayetteville – Closed Friday, Sept. 14, 2018
- Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education in Corolla – Closed Tuesday, Sept. 11 through Sunday, Sept. 16, 2018 (due to mandatory evacuation)
- Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education in Pisgah Forest – Closed Friday, Sept. 14 and Saturday Sept. 15, 2018, due to closure of Pisgah National Forest-USDA Forest Service
- Flintlock Shooting Range in Montgomery County – Closed Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018
- John Lentz Hunter Education Complex in Richmond County – Closed Friday, Sept. 14 and Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018. Shotgun field closed Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2018 at 12 p.m., through Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018
- R. Wayne Bailey-Caswell Shooting Range in Caswell County – Closed Friday, Sept. 14 and Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018. Open Sunday – pending storm damage
Game Lands (listed alphabetically):
In anticipation of Hurricane Florence, gates are closed to vehicular access on the following game lands or game land tracts, effective Sept. 11, 2018, until further notice. These roads will remain closed until they have each been evaluated and deemed to be safe and suitable for public use.
- Alligator River Game Land in Tyrrell County
- Angola Bay Game Land in Duplin and Pender counties
- Buckridge Game Land, in Tyrrell County
- Chowan Swamp Game Land in Bertie, Hertford and Gates counties, on the following tracts: Wiccacon; Mapleton; and selected roads on Sand Banks
- Columbus County Game Land in Brunswick and Columbus counties on the following tracts: Pireway; Old Dock
- Goose Creek Game Land in Beaufort and Pamlico counties on the following tracts: Parker Farm, Tract 4
- Gull Rock Game Land in Hyde and Tyrrell counties
- Holly Shelter Game Land in Pender County
- Juniper Creek Game Land in Brunswick and Columbus counties
- Lower Roanoke River Game Land in Bertie and Martin counties, on the following tracts: Conaho; Whitley (Minges Impoundment)
- Neuse River Game Land Craven County
- North River Game Land in Camden and Currituck counties
- Stones Creek Game Land in Onslow County
- Van Swamp Game Land in Beaufort and Washington counties
- Whitehall Plantation Game Land in Bladen County
- FFA Camp at White Lake has been cancelled.
- Deer Processing Seminar, scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018 in Raleigh, has been cancelled.
- Back in the Woods Again 8th Anniversary Hunt for the Physically Challenged, scheduled for Sept. 14-15, 2018, has been postponed. A new date will be announced.