Grass Roots North Carolina is reporting that Gov. Pat McCrory (R-NC) has signed HB 562 into law as of August 5th. It is now part of the 2015-2016 Session Laws. While it obviously was a compromise bill, it does contain items that will advance gun rights here in North Carolina as GRNC details below.
Now that this has become law, it is time to start thinking about the 2016-2017 session and what should be on our list to demand. The repeal of the pistol purchase permit system should be at the top of that list. Another thing I’d like to see is a uniform posting law similar to Texas’ 30.06 law. I’m sure my North Carolina readers can come up with a list of their own.
From the GRNC alert:
GOVERNOR MCCRORY SIGNS HOUSE BILL 562
Pat McCrory signed the GRNC-backed Omnibus Gun Legislation House
Bill 562 into law yesterday. We want to thank Governor McCrory for
signing this bill, as well as NC Representatives Jacqueline Shaffer
Burr (R-67); George Cleveland (R-14); as well as Senator Jeff Tarte
(R-41) for their efforts in getting this bill passed with the strongest
possible. Most of all, we’d like to thank you for your support of GRNC.
Without you, we cannot continue to our tireless work to defend your 2nd
Among the victories for gun owners in North Carolina:
- Expanded campus carry (and giving an affirmative defense for defensive gun use on campus)
- Reduced penalties for
carriage onto posted premises Expanded sport shooting range protection
- Reductions in arbitrary permit denials for both concealed
handgun permits and pistol purchase permits while reducing the number of disqualifying prior offenses for those permits
- A new cause of action against local governments which violate our statewide
firearms preemption law
- A requirement for sheriffs to sign Form 4s for qualified Title II applicants
- A provision for legal resident aliens to get concealed handgun permits Short-barreled rifle
hunting in addition to the suppressor hunting passed in 2013