A number of firearms companies have programs that offer those in law enforcement a substantial discount on their products. This would include FNH-USA which allows a once-a-year discounted purchase in each of three categories – pistols, rifles, and shotguns.
I think this is a worthwhile idea. It allows a company to show its support of police and first responders. It allows a company to get its product in the hand of law enforcement which in turn becomes a marketing and word-of-mouth referral tool. And while I can’t speak for areas outside the South, many law enforcement officers in small communities have fairly low salaries.
FNH-USA’s definition of eligibility for participation in their Individual Officer Discount Program is fairly broad compared to other companies. Perhaps, too broad when you look at their list.
- All sworn local, county and state law enforcement officers
- All federal law enforcement officers (i.e., officers with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Federal Air Marshal Service, the Drug Enforcement Administration, etc.)
- All corrections officers, including parole and probation officers
- All retired federal, state, county and local law enforcement officers with “retired” credentials
- Employees of state licensed security companies
- State/city-licensed security officers
- Active duty military personnel, all branches
- Reserve duty military personnel, all branches
- Honorably retired military veterans with “retired” military I.D.
- All Transportation Security Administration employees
- Licensed paramedics and emergency medical technicians
- Firefighters, including volunteer firefighters, with appropriate I.D.
- Federal flight deck officers
- Court judges
- District attorneys and deputy district attorneys
All Transportation Security Administration employees? TSA? Really? You mean people like Pythias Green who was convicted of stealing more than $800,000 from travelers should be allowed to buy firearms at a discount? You mean people like George Hristovski who was arrested by the FBI in Northern California on charges of attempted production of child pornography? You mean the people who grope us repeatedly, who share pictures of us going through the NudieScope, and who want us to respect “their authoriteh”?
I understand that FNH-USA was trying to have as broad a list as possible and to be inclusive but this is ridiculous. What the hell were they thinking? TSA employees no more deserve a discount than does the man in the moon.